Digital News Director (KCBS-AM)Apply
KCBS is looking for an ambitious, motivated News Director who is a journalist at heart and by trade, who also has an eye and ear for digital media and understands how to grow a traditional news radio audience in and on digital platforms. You know how to identify the best moments, viral video or news to post to drive social engagement, web traffic and video views. You know exactly what your news audience wants on social media and can provide video, photos and snappy copy for all platforms. You’re a go-getter who can work with news anchors, reporters, editors, producers, writers and other Newsroom staff to offer best practices for posting on social media, and know how to market content for local and national digital audiences. You can roll up your sleeves, write an article, produce a video and can post it all online.
Assists Director of News and Programming in all phases of the management of the News and Programming Department, with an emphasis on new media. Oversees content, branding and management of the station's website, podcasts, audio streaming and social media channels.
Assists in the traditional Newsroom supervision of news anchors, editors, writers, and production assistants; planning for coverage of scheduled and breaking news stories, special events, news series and documentaries, and looks for ways to coordinate traditional news radio coverage on new media. Assists in traditional Newsroom hiring and training.
Assists in the scheduling of all newsroom personnel.
Identifies audio moments originating from news radio reports and broadcasts and transforms them into articles and produced video for digital consumption.
Writes daily headlines with SEO optimization for articles.
Pitches exclusive content to national team for press distribution and digital syndication.
Collaborates with Programming, Marketing, Sales, and Public Relations for sponsorships or integrations.
Identifies and runs with unique opportunities for engaging users on all social media platforms.
Manages content on social media platforms, websites and YouTube channels for multiple radio stations.
Strategic digital planning for radio station concerts, special events and artist interviews.
- College degree with a minimum of five years’ experience in a newsroom in a large/major market.
- A thorough knowledge of online news coverage and operations.
- Experience in broadcast news management preferred.
- Proven ability to grow a website audience and social media reach and engagement.
- Ability to post engaging headline, article text and social media copy with fast turn-around time.
- You understand key social media KPIs and have produced results in a fast-paced environment.
- Deep understanding of the Facebook Insights tools, Google Analytics, and at least cursory understanding of social analytics tools (i.e. CrowdTangle).
- Understanding of online digital content with ability to engage national and local audience.
- Experience using Frequency, Wordpress, Photoshop, digital video and audio players, embed codes and audio capture tools.
- Ability to multitask and adapt to a changing environment.
- Can-do attitude with a willingness to roll up your sleeves and do any task required to grow an audience – no matter how big or small